An under 21 DUI lawyer at our firm might be able to help you minimize the potential damage of a criminal conviction in Cedar Hill or have your case dismissed. If you were arrested for under 21 DUI, you may be facing serious consequences that can affect your education, career, and ability to retain your driver’s license. Depending on your age, an under 21 DUI charge might:
- Negatively impact your parents
- Lead to a lost or suspended license
- Impact your education or career
- Ban you from some types of employment
Penalties for Under 21 DUI in Cedar Hill
Drug or alcohol-impaired driving at any age can pose a danger to everyone on the road. For this reason, the penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) can be harsh and far-reaching. Under 21 DUI penalties may vary according to:
- Your age at the time of your arrest
- Previous DUI-related arrests on your record
In addition, according to Texas Department of Public Safety Driver License Division (DPS) guidelines, “under the influence” is defined as having any amount of drugs or alcohol in your system.
Minor Drivers Younger Than 17
If you are arrested for under 21 DUI before you turn 17, the possible penalties may also involve your parents. Young drivers may face the following:
- First offense: Fines of up to $500.00, 40 community service hours, and loss of license for up to 6 months. You—and possibly your parents—may also be mandated to participate in an alcohol awareness class.
- Second offense: Fines of up to $500.00, 60 community service hours, and loss of license for up to 2 years. You may also need to attend an alcohol awareness class.
- Third offense: Fines of up to $500.00, 60 community service hours, and loss of license for up to 2 years.
If possible, our team will help limit or minimize these penalties.
Minor Drivers Between 17 and 21
Drivers between 17 and 21 face stiffer penalties and higher fines than those of younger drivers, including:
- First offense: Fines up to $2,000.00, incarceration of up to 6 months, and loss of license for up to a year. You might also be ordered to undergo community supervision and have an ignition interlock device installed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Fines of up to $4,000.00, incarceration of up to a year, and loss of license for up to 18 months.
- Third offense: Fines of up to $10,000.00, jail time for up to 10 years, and loss of license for up to 2 years.
On your own, it might be difficult to mitigate the damages of an under 21 DUI arrest. With help from our team, you might be able to limit the penalties of a possible conviction.
The Long-Term Consequences of an Under 21 DUI
The criminal and financial penalties of an under 21 DUI can be daunting. They might also be accompanied by additional penalties that are not as readily apparent. For example, an arrest might cast a negative light on your community standing. It might also:
- Bar you from any employment that requires a blemish-free driving record
- Prevent you from participating in community events of your preference
- Potentially increase your and your parent’s insurance rates
In addition to the damage of an arrest, the long-term consequences might be worse if you are subsequently convicted. Your choices of educational institutions and ability to seek financial aid may be limited, according to U.S. Department of Education guidelines.
Get help mitigating the potential damage of an under 21 DUI conviction from our DUI defense lawyer serving clients in Cedar Hill. Our client support team is standing by to help you navigate this process.
How an Under 21 DUI Lawyer Fights for Your Future
When our team represents you, we may start by ensuring there was probable cause for your arrest in the first place. We will also ensure you were fully informed of your rights at the time, including the fact that:
- You have the right to remain silent.
- Anything you say might be used against you.
- You have the right to a lawyer.
Your rights are inviolable and must be adhered to no matter the circumstances of your arrest. If your rights were violated in any way, we may have leverage to have your charges reduced or dismissed. We might be able to:
- Negotiate a smaller fine
- Avoid the stress of a trial
- Negotiate a plea bargain
- Negotiate a lower charge
- Challenge field sobriety testing
You do not have to face the penalties of an under 21 DUI arrest or conviction without assistance. Our criminal defense team is ready to help you preserve your reputation, limit penalties for yourself and your parents, and get a fresh start.
Fight Back With an Under 21 DUI Lawyer
Were you arrested for under 21 DUI in Cedar Hill, or are you the parent of the arrested driver? If so, we may be able to help you avoid the harsher penalties, including the potential loss of your driver’s license and of your freedom. Our criminal defense team could also help you limit the potential personal, professional, and social damage.
Do not hesitate to contact our client intake team to get started. Randall B. Isenberg brings over 30 years of experience as a former prosecutor and a state district judge to your case. Call (214) 696-9253 to reach the team at the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg right away.