The punishments for DWI in Texas are severe. Depending on the nature of your charges, you could be facing jail time, thousands of dollars in fines, a suspended license, and other penalties.
You do not need to face a DWI charge alone. A Colleyville DWI lawyer from the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg may be able to defend your rights throughout your case. We may be able to have your charges dropped, or where that is not possible, attempt to have your charges reduced or dismissed.
To learn more about our services in a free case review with a member of our team, call the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg today at (214) 696-9253.
How a DWI Conviction Can Affect Your Life
Driving while intoxicated (DWI) is dangerous, and Texas exacts harsh penalties against those convicted of this crime.
According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), a first-offense DWI conviction may include:
- 72 hours to 6 months in jail (no mandatory jail time)
- A fine of up to $2,000
- A driver license suspension of 1 year
A second-offense DWI conviction may include:
- 30 days to 1 year in jail, with a mandatory minimum of 72 hours of jail time
- A fine of up to $4,000
- A driver license suspension of 2 years
A third-offense DWI conviction may include:
- 2 to 10 years of prison time
- A fine of up to $10,000
- A driver license suspension of 2 years
Other circumstances could affect the severity of your DWI charges or punishments as well. For example:
- Receiving a DWI with a child under the age of 15 in your vehicle may add child endangerment charges to your arrest
- If your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is 0.15% or higher, your charges may increase from a Class B to a Class A misdemeanor
- Receiving a DWI with an open container could increase your charges from a Class B to a Class A misdemeanor with jail time
- If your DWI arrest occurred during an accident that injured someone, your charges might elevate from a misdemeanor to a felony, which you can never get sealed from your record.
In addition to these penalties, a DWI conviction may affect your personal and professional life. It could appear in background checks when applying for jobs or houses. A DWI involving a child may also affect your child custody.
Defenses in a DWI Case
When you work with a Colleyville DWI lawyer from the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg, we can investigate your arrest, scrutinize the charges against you, and help you design a defense in your case.
Depending on the nature of your case, we may be able to:
- Examine if the circumstances that led to your being pulled over and arrested were legal. If the officers did not have probable cause to stop you or administer a field sobriety test, a judge may dismiss the charges against you.
- We can also examine the details of your field sobriety test to make sure that the police properly calibrated and handled the testing equipment and that the officer who administered your test had proper training.
- If the prosecution is using statements you gave at your arrest as evidence against you, we can make sure that you were read your Miranda rights. If not, a judge may decide this evidence is inadmissible.
For a free legal consultation with a DWI Lawyer serving Colleyville, call (214) 696-9253
DWI Arrests Involving Drugs
Not all DWI arrests in Texas involve alcohol. According to the Texas Penal Code §49.04, intoxicated may also mean “not having the normal use of mental and physical faculties” due to a controlled substance or drug.
Drug-based DWIs may rely on evidence such as a blood test or officer observation. The Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg may be able to challenge this evidence if it is brought against you as well.
Colleyville DWI Lawyer Near Me (214) 696-9253
Possible Outcomes of a DWI Case
In general, the following outcomes may occur in a DWI case:
- Your charges are dropped, and you face no penalties
- Your charges are not dropped, but you are able to make a plea bargain for a reduced charge or penalties
- You are able to serve probation instead of jail time
- You are convicted and face the full criminal penalties
The Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg can fight for a positive outcome in your case when we represent you. For a free consultation on your case with a member of our team, call us today at (214) 696-9253.
Click to contact our DWI Lawyers today
Working with the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg on Your DWI Case
The Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg know the stress and uncertainty that can come with facing DWI charges. When you work with a Colleyville DWI lawyer from our firm, you will gain an immediate advocate in your corner.
In general, our services may include:
- Answering your questions, discussing the possible outcomes of your case, and providing you with confidential legal advice
- Collecting evidence in your defense, which may include witness statements or expert testimony
- Coordinating deadlines, paperwork, and court appointments
- Preparing you for any statements you may be required to give
- Working to have the charges in your case dropped
- If that is not possible, trying to have your charges or punishment reduced
The Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg understand the laws surrounding DWI charges in Texas. Our lead attorney, Randall B. Isenberg, has over 30 years of legal experience, including careers as both a Senior Chief Felony Prosecutor and State District Trial Judge. Today, that experience informs our firm’s criminal defense work.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Reach Out to the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg Today
A DWI conviction can affect your freedom, your finances, and your future. The Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg work hard to defend our clients from the consequences of a DWI conviction.
To learn more about working with a Colleyville DWI lawyer from our firm, call the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg today at (214) 696-9253. A member of our team can provide you with a free initial consultation on your case.