Finding yourself in jail or facing a criminal charge in DeSoto is a nerve-wracking situation to be in. It can be incredibly difficult to know what you should do, who you should talk to, and whether you are being treated fairly, especially if this is your first experience with the Texas criminal justice system. One way to get control of the situation and to learn more about your legal rights and options is to speak with our DeSoto criminal defense lawyer. Attorney Randall B. Isenberg has over 30 years of experience in the criminal justice system, both as a former prosecutor and judge.
He understands how the system works from many different perspectives. You do not need to try to navigate the criminal justice system on your own. Get a free consultation by calling our office at (214) 696-9253.
A DWI can have devastating consequences on your personal and professional life. You may think you only had a few drinks in some situations and did not know that you were close to or over the legal limit. And if you face a second or third DWI offense, you are probably concerned about the severity of the penalties that the judge may impose against you.
Under Texas Penal Code Ch 49.04, a DWI involves driving a vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more. There are many different penalties that you may face if you are convicted of a DWI, and they get more severe depending on whether certain factors are present in your case.
If your blood alcohol concentration is 0.15 or more, for example, then the charge against you will be elevated from a Class B misdemeanor to a Class A misdemeanor. This carries heavier fines and potentially more jail time.
If this is your second DWI charge, then your jail time is raised from 72 hours to 30 days. For a third offense, the charge will be treated as a felony instead of a misdemeanor.
Learn more about your rights and whether the charges against you should be reduced or dropped by calling (214) 696-9253 for a free consultation.
Texas is notoriously harsh when it comes to drug crimes and penalties. This can make your future feel incredibly uncertain. Although you may feel like speaking with the authorities is the best way to absolve yourself and get your name cleared, this can backfire quickly. Having a lawyer by your side can help you make sure that you are taking the right steps to protect your rights and get the charges against you reduced or dropped if possible.
There are many different types of drug crimes that you may be facing in Texas:
- Possession – If you are caught having a controlled substance in your possession, including your home, vehicle, or on your person, then you may be facing penalties like fines and jail time.
- Using – If you are caught while using a controlled substance, you can be arrested. This includes being in possession of prescription medicines and having a clear intent to use them for recreational purposes.
- Distribution – Giving or selling an illegal substance to someone else is categorized as a type of drug trafficking activity under Texas law that can carry heavy fines and jail times.
- Selling Drugs – If you are caught selling illegal substances, it is deemed a serious drug crime. Selling is not limited to monetary transactions and can include exchanging illegal substances for bribes or favors.
There are many different penalties that the court can impose against you for drug offenses, including:
- Fines reaching amounts of up to $10,000
- A jail sentence of one year to life imprisonment
- Community service
- A permanent charge on your public record
- Registering on a criminal offender list
Speaking with our DeSoto criminal defense lawyer can help you ensure that the charges against you are fair and pursued properly. Sometimes the police and prosecution do not play by the rules, or they may try to cut corners to get a conviction. Your lawyer will work diligently to ensure that your case is handled correctly and that any evidence in your favor is brought to light. If the police did not have probable cause to stop and detain you, for example, then any evidence they obtained from the exchange cannot be used against you in court.
For a free legal consultation with a Lawyer serving DeSoto, call (214) 696-9253
Other Charges We Handle
As criminal defense lawyers, we help our clients defend against many other types of charges. A few examples include:
- Domestic Violence – A domestic violence charge cannot be expunged on your record, so it is important to take it seriously and do everything you can to protect yourself. A domestic violence incident is often a he-said, she-said situation, but your lawyer will fight to get to the bottom of what really happened. Our compassionate attorneys will handle your case with the discretion and sensitivity it deserves.
- DMV Hearings – If you are charged with a DWI, you also face an administrative penalty through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You have only 15 days after the date of your arrest to challenge the administrative license revocation, so acting quickly is important.
- Marijuana DWIs – Although some states are making marijuana usage legal, Texas is not one of them. You can be charged with driving while intoxicated based on marijuana usage. This is a complex area of law that poses unique challenges, and many of the penalties you face are just as severe as an alcohol-based DWI.
- Grand Theft Auto – This is a broad category of crimes that includes purchasing a vehicle with a bad check, forging a title, or using fraudulent means to obtain the vehicle. You can face serious jail time and penalties for a GTA charge.
- Murder and Assault – There are a number of defenses that may be available to someone facing murder and/or assault charges, like self-defense, defense of a third party, necessity, mistake, duress, and more. Asserting the right defense can make a substantial difference in the ultimate outcome of your case.
- Sex Crimes – This is a broad category of crimes covering everything from indecent exposure to rape and possession of child pornography. The penalties are severe and have life-altering consequences for the defendant.
Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me (214) 696-9253
Get a Free & Confidential Consultation
The Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg offers a free consultation to discuss your situation privately. Find out how our DeSoto criminal defense lawyer may be able to help you by calling (214) 696-9253 now.