Domestic abuse charges can change your life in many ways. They can leave you with a social stigma that damages your personal and professional life and lead to hefty financial penalties and serious jail or prison time. If you or someone you love was arrested on domestic abuse charges, we can help.
Our Ennis domestic abuse lawyer will examine the details of your arrest and the evidence the state has against you. We will also make sure the state handles your case fairly, aboveboard, and in a timely fashion. When you are ready to fight for your freedom, your family, and your future, our team at Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg is here to fight by your side.
Domestic Abuse Penalties in Texas
Domestic abuse charges can vary in degree depending on the physical condition of the injured party. As the Texas Politics Project outlines, the penalties you face are as follows:
- Misdemeanors: $500 to $4,000 in fines and up to 1 year of incarceration
- Felonies: as much as $10,000 in fines and up to 99 years of incarceration
In addition, domestic abuse charges can be used against you in a divorce or child custody action. It can also tarnish your reputation, making it difficult to continue living as you once did.
The Damage of a Domestic Abuse Arrest or Conviction
Being charged with domestic abuse can be almost as damaging as a conviction. It can permanently stain your name and affect your relationships in your family and community. It can also leave you with:
- A permanent black mark on your record, which appears on subsequent background checks
- Limited options for housing and education if convicted
- An Order of Protection that limits your mobility and ability to see your family
You do not have to fight these consequences of arrest and conviction alone. When you hire our firm, we work hard to build your defense and make sure you stay updated along the way. Your defense is a priority to our entire team.
Potential Defenses to Domestic Abuse
In Texas, the law refers to domestic abuse as “family violence.” According to Texas Family Code § 71.004, family violence means the defendant physically assaults or threatens to assault a family member. Based on the circumstances of your specific case, our domestic abuse attorneys could build one of these defenses:
- The other party attacked you first, and you defended yourself.
- The allegations against you are false or incorrect.
- The injured party was not or is not a member of your household.
Domestic abuse charges are serious and can heavily impact your life. Our family violence lawyers work hard to build a defense that protects each client’s rights and future. When necessary, we also work with the state to make plea deals that might limit the damage of a conviction.
Processes That Could Lessen the Charges Against You
Plea bargains are an effective tool we may use as part of your defense strategy. The state benefits from plea bargaining because they reduce the time and money spent in court. Meanwhile, they can benefit you in certain scenarios as well. When we negotiate with the prosecutor on your behalf, you could reap the following benefits:
- Lower charges
- Lighter sentencing
- Speedier case resolution
Plea bargains can also spare you the trauma of testifying in an Ellis County court and the uncertainty of a trial outcome. When we make plea arrangements for you, it gives us more control over the outcome of your case. Our team will negotiate hard in your defense for the outcome that is least disruptive to your life and family.
How Our Domestic Abuse Lawyer Helps Clients in Ennis
When our firm represents you, we delve into every detail of your case and leave no stone unturned in building your defense. We start by listening to your version of events – without judgment and with an ear for critical details. We will also:
- Help establish the validity of your alibi
- Interview witnesses for and against you
- Look for evidence to show you were acting in self-defense
- Read and review the injured party’s medical records
- Thoroughly scrutinize the state’s evidence
At Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg, our criminal defense team will also look for any violation of your rights to leverage in your defense. To that end, we examine the probable cause that led to your arrest and everything that happened between the time of your arrest and when you requested a lawyer.
For a free legal consultation with a Domestic Abuse Lawyer in Ennis, call (214) 696-9253
See What Previous Clients Say About Our Criminal Defense Team
When our firm represents criminal defendants, we give each case the one-of-kind attention it deserves. We will act quickly on your case and work hard to build the best possible defense for you. Clients we represented in the past say:
- “After I decided to go with Randall B. Isenberg… I had a thousand fears and a thousand questions. But it didn’t take me long to discover how hard the attorneys at his law offices were working. No doubt that I’m free today because of them.” – Gerrie
- “I used Randall Isenberg and team and was satisfied with the work they did on my case. Randall is a seasoned attorney that is well connected. I highly recommend using him if you have to.” – Kyle
- “Randy is the real deal. On a bogus case, my previous attorney told me I didn’t have any option other than accepting whatever the court offered me. That seemed ridiculous to me on a case that had no merit, so I contacted Randy. He and his team had the case dismissed almost immediately. He’s a true professional and an asset to the legal community. ” – Brandon
Randall B. Isenberg has more than 30 years of experience as a former prosecutor and as a state district judge. He brings this experience to your case to help you fight for your freedom.
Call Us Today for a Review of Your Case
If you or someone you love in Ennis is fighting domestic abuse charges, our criminal defense lawyer could help you build a strong defense. Contact one of our Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg team members for a free and confidential case review today. You can reach our office by calling (214) 696-9253.