The consequences for a domestic violence charge in Carrollton, TX can include thousands of dollars in fines, jail or prison time, and a permanent criminal record.
At the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg, we understand how these cases can disrupt your family, work schedule, and other aspects of your life for years to come. This is not an easy situation to face, and you want a legal team that is prepared to defend your rights and your future.
Attorney Randall B. Isenberg has more than three decades of experience as a criminal defense lawyer, state district court judge, and a felony prosecutor. Let him put his experience to work for you. Call a dedicated domestic violence lawyer in Carrollton, TX now to discuss your case at (214) 696-9253.
Those Who May Face Domestic Violence Charges
A person can be charged with domestic violence in the state of Texas if they intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly cause injury or threaten to injure another individual with whom they have or have had a familial relationship.
According to Texas Sec. 22, this includes “intentionally or knowingly [causing] physical contact with another when the person knows or should reasonably believe that the other will regard the contact as offensive or provocative.” Texas’ laws outline three distinct types of domestic violence, including domestic assault, aggravated domestic assault, and continuous violence against the family.
Texas Statute 71.003 defines family as:
- Former spouse
- Current or former partner
- Parents of the same child
- Foster child and foster parent
- Relatives, either blood or adoptive
- Individuals who live together, regardless of their relationship
How a Domestic Violence Conviction Can Impact Your Life
The consequences of a Carrollton domestic violence conviction can vary, based on which charge you face, your previous record, and other details of your case. However, Carrollton domestic violence convictions may carry the following consequences:
- Revocation of firearm licenses
- Restitution to the victim, including paying for therapy
- Community supervision
- Between $500 and $10,000 in dollars in fines
- Up to life in prison (for a felony charge)
Domestic violence charges can vary in severity from a misdemeanor to a first-degree felony. The range of charges is one reason we highly recommend seeking guidance from a dedicated domestic violence lawyer in Carrollton who can work to reduce the consequences you face.
How a Domestic Violence Lawyer Can Help with Your Case
Domestic violence charges should never be taken lightly. Even a seemingly minor altercation can result in lifelong consequences that can impact where you can live and your ability to secure employment in years to come.
The Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg can help protect your future by:
- Analyzing the evidence in your case
- Building a defense strategy based on the details of your case, including the evidence, whether you were defending yourself, and the arrest process
- Defending your case in a Texas court
- If an acquittal is unlikely, your legal team may work to reduce the charges you face
- Appealing a conviction, if the details of your case support this strategy
Your domestic violence lawyer in Carrollton, TX works as your advocate throughout the legal process. Our team will answer your questions, help you understand the outcome of the charges you face and work to reduce the impact these charges may have on your future.
Common Defense Strategies in Domestic Violence Cases
In the state of Texas, you can be arrested for domestic violence with very little proof. This can be frightening, but it does not guarantee a conviction. Your legal team will work to build a defense for these charges.
Depending on the details of your situation, defense strategies might include:
- Police engaged in an illegal search and seizure
- You acted in self-defense or in defense of another person
- The injury was unintentional
- False or incorrect allegations
Domestic violence charges can have a long-term impact on your life. You want a dedicated attorney who can fight for your future. Call the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg today at (214) 696-9253 for a free case review.