Fighting drug crime charges on your own can be difficult and intimidating. An arrest on drug charges can disrupt every part of your life – personal, professional, and social. When you trust our Ennis drug crimes lawyer with your defense, we can identify the best path for the case to limit the disruption in your life and the possibility of the state’s harshest penalties and fines.
Our criminal defense team will review the evidence against you and examine every part of your arrest and subsequent police questioning. At Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg, our goal is to uncover any violations of your rights, inconsistencies in witness statements, police errors or misconduct, or any other factors that might aid in your defense. Our office provides free consultations at all hours, so you don’t have to wait to get started.
Texas Imposes Stiff Penalties on Drug Convictions
TX Penal Code Chapter 481 categorizes controlled substances into various penalty groups. Accordingly, the penalties you face vary based on the type and amount of drugs cited in the charges. For example, you could receive Class C misdemeanor charges for possession of drug paraphernalia, while possessing several hundred grams or units of a drug can lead to first-degree felony charges.
TX Penal Code Chapter 12 outlines the specific penalties associated with each type of charge.
- Class C misdemeanor penalties include a fine of up to $500.
- Class B misdemeanor penalties include up to 180 days in jail and a
- Class A misdemeanor penalties include up to 1 year in jail and a $4,000 fine.
- State jail felony penalties include up to 2 years of incarceration.
- Third-degree felony penalties include up to 10 years of incarceration.
- Second-degree felony penalties include up to 20 years of incarceration.
- First-degree felony penalties include up to 99 years of incarceration.
Any felony conviction can also involve a fine of up to $10,000. As your criminal defense team, we fight hard to help you avoid such penalties. If we have evidence that supports having the charges against you dismissed, we fight for that outcome so you can get back to your life. Otherwise, our attorneys focus on limiting the impact of conviction through plea deals and other methods.
Other Effects of Conviction Involving Drug Crimes
When you are convicted of a drug crime – particularly a felony – it can cost you more than your freedom. For example, a felony conviction takes away your right to vote until the end of your sentence.
A conviction can also hinder your life in significant ways even after the penalty phase is complete. For instance, it can prevent you from:
- Owning a gun for several years post-felony conviction
- Receiving government financial aid or student loans
- Passing a background check for employment or housing
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with your family and friends, and within the community
We fight hard to help you avoid the impact of these negative consequences. Depending on the circumstances of your charges, we could use one of several defenses when representing you.
Defenses and Plea Agreements Our Team Helps Provide
According to Texas Occupations Code Section 169.003, a limited number of individuals qualify to have and use medical cannabis. If you are one of these individuals, we will use this fact in your defense. Other examples of defenses we may build for you include:
- You did not know the drugs in question were present.
- The search that led to the drugs was unlawful.
- You agree to enroll in a drug treatment or addiction recovery program.
When necessary, our attorneys also work with the state to negotiate plea agreements. With a plea bargain, we can help you get lower charges that carry lighter financial penalties and shorter jail or prison terms.
We Defend Clients Facing the Following Types of Drug Crimes
Our firm defends clients charged with a wide array of drug-related crimes. The following list is not all-inclusive, but it provides examples of the criminal charges we defend our clients against:
- Selling and distributing
- Prescription fraud
- Growing marijuana
It can be hard to know where to turn for help in the immediate aftermath of your arrest. With more than 30 years of experience as both a former prosecutor and state district judge, Randall B. Isenberg is familiar with the criminal justice system from both sides. He brings this experience to the defense of your case and uses it to help build your defense.
Put Our Drug Crime Team to Work on Your Defense
When you hire our firm to defend you in Ennis, we begin by listening to the story of your arrest. We then go over the state’s evidence with you and look for errors or inconsistencies that work in your favor. Our drug crimes lawyer will also:
- Fight to have you released on bail
- Clarify your charges and potential penalties
- Defend your rights throughout your case
- Manage all communication with the state
- Handle all legal forms, filings, and pleas
- Prepare you and any witnesses to testify in an Ellis County court
Building an effective defense for you is a priority for our entire team at Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg.
Hear from Clients Our Law Firm Defended in the Past
Choosing the right lawyer to represent you is a critical part of your criminal defense. A simple way to vet our law firm is by hearing from clients we have defended in the past. They say:
- “Thanks, Randall, for getting my charges reduced. I went from facing decades in prison to probation. I can’t tell you how much that means to me, my wife, and kids… I’ll be happy to refer your law firm to anyone wanting an outstanding attorney.” – Erick
- “If you or your family have found yourself in a bad situation, then look no further. Hire him and his team, be honest and forthcoming with them from the start and try your very best to have peace in knowing that he is working to achieve the best possible outcome for you. Thank you Randall!” – Arnold
- “Straight talk. Real go getter. Master negotiator. Mr. Isenberg and his Associates handled my difficult case with the utmost professionalism in a more than reasonable amount of time. Can’t say enough abount Randy and his team.” – John
Our client testimonials page has many more reviews like these. Our criminal defense team is committed to providing our clients with legal service and support they can count on when they need it most.
Tell Us About Your Ennis Drug Charges Today
If you or someone you love in Ennis is facing drug-related charges, our drug crimes lawyer can help you defend yourself and fight for your future. Find out how by contacting one of our Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg team members at (214) 696-9253 today. We are standing by with a free and confidential case review.
Call or text (214) 696-9253 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form