No, you do not technically need a lawyer for a lawyer for a driving while intoxicated (DWI) charge. However, being arrested and facing charges for a DWI offense is a daunting experience. Many people hire legal counsel because they understand the severity of a possible conviction and want to mount the strongest possible defense against criminal charges.
Some questions that may influence your decision to work with a lawyer could include:
- Is this your first offense?
- Did anyone get injured in a collision?
- How high was your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) during your arrest?
- Why were you stopped?
- Do you feel capable of defending yourself from such a serious charge?
Many individuals facing a DWI charge do not have the time, legal knowledge, or mental bandwidth to handle the rigors of a criminal case. You can hire a defense attorney from our firm to fight for the best possible legal outcome.
A DWI Conviction Will Remain on Your Record for the Foreseeable Future
Texas treats DWI cases very seriously. According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), you could face jail time, a hefty fine, and a lengthy license suspension if you are convicted. A conviction on your record could severely affect your ability to secure loans, housing, and jobs.
With so much at stake, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and unprepared. However, having a defense lawyer fight these charges can help protect your future.
When pursuing a conviction, the burden of proof rests on the prosecution. Your DWI attorney can obtain and examine the evidence against you before the case goes to trial and formulate defense strategies on your behalf.
If it is your first offense, or if the prosecution has insufficient evidence against you, your lawyer can enter negotiations for the amendment of your charges before trial. The effectiveness of your legal defense will directly affect the outcome of your case and may be the difference between a dismissal, a favorable plea deal, and a conviction.
How Will a Law Firm Will Fight for the Best Possible Legal Outcome to a DWI Case?
The worst possible outcome of a drunk driving charge is a conviction on the initial charges. Your defense attorney from our team will work to keep a DWI conviction off your criminal record or at least negotiate the least harmful plea bargain possible.
When defending you against allegations of impaired driving, we may work towards one or more of the following outcomes:
- Reduction of fines
- Preservation of your driving privileges
- No DWI charge on your record
- No jail or prison sentence
While a criminal defense lawyer never provides guarantees to their client, we will work tirelessly to shield you from the weight of Texas’ criminal justice system.
Are Certain DWI Cases More Serious Than Others?
The complexity of DWI cases can make them difficult to defend, especially if aggravating circumstances apply to the charges. If you are not a lawyer, you may find it immensely difficult to put forth an effective defense.
We have secured favorable outcomes in many challenging cases, including those where our clients:
- Had a blood alcohol content (BAC) reading of 0.15% or higher
- Had prior DWI convictions
- Had an open container in their car when pulled over
- Had a minor in the car at the time of the arrest
- Caused an accident when driving while intoxicated that resulted in serious injury or a fatality to another person
While every person facing a DWI charge in Texas should consider hiring an attorney, cases with aggravating factors come with exceptionally high stakes.
Defenses Your Lawyer May Use Against a DWI Charge
Your DWI attorney from our team will rely on the facts of your case to form the most logical defense. We will pursue the legal option that we believe provides the greatest chance of success.
We may defend you by arguing that:
- You were not intoxicated at the time of your arrest
- Law enforcement officials improperly gathered evidence against you
- There is insufficient evidence to convict
- The police officer did not have probable suspicion for pulling you over
- The breathalyzer or blood test yielded unreliable results
You do not have to face this difficult time alone if you have been arrested and charged with a DWI. Our legal team will take the lead in your case, understanding that your reputation, quality of life, and your freedom hangs in the balance of your defense.
What Will a DWI Defense Lawyer Do for Me?
If you or a loved one are facing a DWI charge in Texas, you should understand the immense value a capable criminal defense lawyer provides. Our team will:
- Gather and evaluate any evidence that is relevant to your case
- Identify any misconduct or procedural errors that occurred during the traffic stop
- Consult any experts who may aid in your defense
- Develop a legal strategy based on the unique facts of your case
- Engage in plea negotiations seeking a lesser charge (if it is the appropriate strategy for your case)
- Seek a dismissal of the DWI charge
- Represent you at trial, if necessary
We will also oversee the administrative aspects of your case, including paperwork and communications. The Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg take complete control of our clients’ defenses, as we want to ensure every detail falls in line with our defense strategy.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg Today About a DWI Defense
The dedicated and experienced team at the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg wants to help you move beyond your DWI arrest or conviction. Our founding partner, Randall B. Isenberg, worked for over 30 years as a former prosecutor and state district judge. This substantial experience benefits our clients, as they trust us to take on their case and give them a fighting chance against misdemeanor or felony DWI charges.
Do not wait to contact our team, as we want to build your defense as soon as possible. Call the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg today to discuss how we can lead your defense against a DWI charge. There is no obligation to hire our firm when you call, so there is no reason to wait.