If you are facing felony DWI charges in Mesquite or Dallas County, the Mesquite DWI lawyers at The Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg can help. We have a proven track record of getting charges reduced or dropped quickly and discreetly. Experience the benefit of having a resourceful legal team on your side.
In the eyes of the law, you’re innocent until proven guilty, and you have every right to arm yourself with legal representation. During your free initial consultation, our Mesquite felony DWI lawyers can discuss your next steps and legal defense strategy. You don’t want to leave your future and freedom to chance.
What Leads to a Felony DWI Charge in Texas?
According to Sec. 49.02 of the Texas Penal Code, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is usually a misdemeanor offense. However, some circumstances can elevate these charges to felonies. The prosecutor might present DWI charges as a felony if:
Consecutive DWI Charges
If you have more than two prior DWI convictions, the prosecution may charge you with a felony. If you are convicted, you could lose your driver’s license for up to two years, pay a fine, and serve a prison sentence.
Your Drunk Driving Accident Caused Catastrophic Injury
If you were arrested for driving a vehicle under the influence of alcohol, you might face additional felony DWI charges (if you are under suspicion of causing an accident that resulted in severe injuries to the victims).
These consequences include court-ordered community service, up to $10,000 in fines, driver’s license suspension or revocation, and up to 10 years in state prison.
Your DWI Accident Results in Wrongful Death
In Texas, a DWI wrongful death accident is referred to as “intoxication manslaughter,” which is a second-degree felony offense. These charges put you at risk of serving 20 years in state prison.
Mesquite Felony DWI Lawyer Near Me (214) 696-9253
Intoxicated With a Minor Passenger Present
According to Texas law, a child passenger is any person below the age of 15. If the police arrest you for allegations of DWI with a minor passenger in the vehicle, you risk a state jail felony. By itself, the charge is indictable by at least six months to two years in jail.
If you are facing such charges, do not suffer in silence. We have spent years handling such cases, so you can rest easy as a Mesquite felony DWI lawyer fights for your rights and protects your interests.
Do You Need Help Understanding the Impact of Your Charges?
It’s no secret that felony DWI charges are serious and can lead to life-changing circumstances. You have a lot at stake while facing felony DWI charges, such as your:
- Professional and personal reputation
- Driving privileges
- Civil rights, such as your right to vote
With a conviction, you could also face:
- Having to pay court and administrative costs
- Considerable monetary penalties
- Years behind bars
You could face more than the penalties imposed by the state after a conviction. Even if you pay your fines and complete your prison sentence, you could also experience:
- Issues retaining custody or visitation rights with your children. Family law judges aim to act in the best interest of children. A judge may feel that spending time with a convicted parent may not be in their best interest and may even be unsafe.
- Problems with getting affordable insurance rates. Not only might your insurer drop you after getting convicted, but you could find yourself having to pay hundreds more each month to maintain your insurance policy. You can’t drive without auto insurance; the state requires you to have it.
- Difficulty getting to and from work. Once the state suspends your driver’s license, you may have to rely on public transportation and rideshare services just to get to and from work. This could hurt your financial stability and even prevent you from advancing in your field of employment.
Maintaining your quality of life, career, and overall happiness could become difficult with a guilty verdict. With a lawyer, you get more than just legal help; you get hope that someone is fighting for your future. We fight to protect you from the collateral consequences of a felony DWI conviction and to move forward.
Essential Post-Arrest Steps to Consider in Your Felony DWI Case
The aftermath of an arrest may feel chaotic as you undergo questioning, learn about your criminal charges, and explain the matter to your loved ones. While our Mesquite DWI lawyers are committed to resolving your case, some actions could benefit your situation. These considerations include:
- Cooperating with law enforcement but not answering questions. You have the right to remain silent, meaning you don’t have to answer any questions until your lawyer arrives. Still, you should cooperate with law enforcement during booking and other procedures to avoid being painted in a bad light.
- Refrain from driving on a suspended license. With a felony charge, you’re already facing jail time and fines. You don’t need a charge for driving on a suspended license to complicate matters. Our lawyers may be able to guide you through the process of retaining your driving privileges.
- Write down the details of your arrest. Document as much as you can about what happened before, during, and after your arrest. Even a seemingly minor detail could play a pivotal role in your defense.
Above all else, you could consider the benefit of working with our felony DWI lawyers. Once you’re convicted of a crime of this nature, it stays on your record forever.
Successful Defenses Tailored to the Details of Your Case
From the moment you partner with our felony DWI lawyers in Mesquite, we review your case from many angles to determine a custom defense plan. Our custom defense strategy considers your criminal record, the details of your arrest, and other extenuating factors when creating a strategy. At trial, we may suggest that:
Click to contact our Felony DWI Lawyers today
Law Enforcement Lacked Probable Cause
The police must have probable cause when pulling over people on suspected DWI charges. They can’t pull people over at random and hope to catch someone breaking the law. If no cause is present, we can move to have your case dismissed.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Inaccurate Results from the Breathalyzer Test
Breathalyzer tests are not infallible, and neither are the police officers who operate them. We learn the details of how you were tested to determine whether these results are accurate or admissible. If they’re not, we can have them barred from trial.
The Prosecutor Lacks Compelling Evidence
The state must have evidence to charge and convict you of a crime. If your accident attorney gets certain evidence thrown out, the prosecution might not have a leg to stand on when arguing for a guilty verdict.
You Are Facing Inflated Charges
Sometimes, a not-guilty verdict isn’t possible. Still, it’s not the end of the road for your case. We may aim to have your felony charge reduced to a misdemeanor, which would limit the penalties you face.
Medical Condition Exceptions
Conditions like diabetes, brain injuries, and epilepsy can make it difficult to drive. Still, driving with a health problem isn’t illegal, and it doesn’t constitute drunk driving. We may use this defense if it’s relevant to your circumstances.
Your lawyer’s goal is to secure the best possible outcome for your case, whether that means fewer fines, less time behind bars, or no penalties altogether.
Aggressive Defense Support for DWI Defendants
We will search for every potential area where the arresting officer could have made an error or a biased decision when detaining you, testing your breath, documenting your intoxication levels, or interacting with you.
It is not mandatory to submit to a field sobriety test or a roadside breath test. However, if you did refuse, you had to surrender your license. If you are later convicted, your license may be revoked (depending on whether you are found to have been intoxicated).
DWI laws are multifaceted, and penalties vary from region to region, so without a legal representative, you might not be aware of your options. A lawyer can help you negotiate a deal with the prosecutor. They may also have prior knowledge of the judge who will decide your case.
We can utilize our knowledge of your judge’s record to determine if they may rule in your favor. Our years of cultivating relationships in the Texas legal system have shown us that some judges are more lenient than others.
Our Lawyers Get Favorable Outcomes for DWI Defendants
Time and time again, our lawyers get clients’ charges dropped, reduced, and dismissed. We also get “not guilty” verdicts. Some of our notable case results include:
- Our client was charged with a third-time DWI—a felony. After evaluating the details of their case, we were able to have the case dismissed, resulting in no penalties.
- Another one of our clients faced a DWI felony charge. We had the charges reduced, limiting their penalties.
- Our client was found in the middle of a roadway, allegedly intoxicated behind the wheel. We got their charges reduced to obstruction of a roadway.
Not a month goes by that our criminal defense attorneys don’t secure positive outcomes. The Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg offer well-rounded legal support when you want it most.
The Competitive Advantage of Hiring Our Law Firm
Our managing partner, Attorney Randall B. Isenberg, started his career as a prosecutor and a district judge. He is now a criminal defense lawyer committed to representing Texans’ rights in court. Attorney Isenberg and his team provide the following benefits:
- Insight into prosecutors’ minds. Our team knows what prosecutors look for when attempting to convict people. We use this knowledge to your benefit when creating a defense strategy.
- An understanding of Texas’s legal system. With his decades of legal experience, Attorney Isenberg and his team are intimately acquainted with local judges, prosecutors, and clerks. These relationships help us reach compromises when possible.
- A reputation built on success. Prosecutors know they’re in for a fight when confronted with the law offices of Randall B. Isenberg. That’s because we treat each case like it’s our future on the line. We don’t see statistics or case numbers; we see people wanting a second chance, and our client reviews prove it.
Don’t spend another minute weighing the pros and cons of hiring a Mesquite criminal defense attorney or feeling uncertain about your case’s outcome. With our team, you get guidance and reassurance throughout every step of your case.
Talk to Our Mesquite Defense Attorneys for Free
During a confidential consultation, our lawyers will answer any questions you might have. We can explain what transpires after you refuse to submit to a breathalyzer, whether the suspension of your license takes effect immediately after your DWI arrest, and what the cost of a DWI charge is likely to be.
Our criminal defense team at the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg is dedicated to helping those facing felony DWI charges in Texas. Let our Mesquite felony DWI lawyers defend your constitutional rights and advocate for your future.
Complete a free case evaluation form and experience superior legal services 24/7.