Deferred adjudication is a special plea arrangement that allows criminal defendants to avoid the damage of having a conviction to their record. The judge defers entering your guilty plea while placing you under community supervision for a period no longer than 10 years. If you complete this period with no further criminal activity, the judge will dismiss the charges.
In essence, deferred adjudication lets you accept responsibility for your actions without putting your freedom at risk, adding a black mark to your record, or permanently hindering any subsequent background checks. If you or a loved one faces criminal charges, our criminal defense team can help you learn more about deferred adjudication in Texas, how you might qualify, and how it can benefit you.
Assess Your Eligibility for Deferred Adjudication
While many defendants want to participate in deferred adjudication, not everyone qualifies. TX Code of Criminal Procedure § 42A.102 outlines the crimes that disqualify you for deferred adjudication, including:
- Human trafficking
- Driving while intoxicated (DWI)
- Sexual assault or abuse
- Prostitution or pimping
- Murder or voluntary manslaughter
If you qualify, our team will work with the prosecutors to get you into deferred adjudication community supervision and maintain your record as-is. If you do not qualify, we can still help you by building a solid defense against the charges and exploring a plea bargain that could lessen the penalties for conviction.
Deferred Adjudication Can Protect Your Future
In today’s society, potential employers, creditors, property managers, and universities use social media and other online tools to vet applicants. They may also request background checks to help guide their decisions. Deferred adjudication can help you avoid the consequences of a negative background check resulting from a conviction.
Deferred adjudication requires multiple follow-up steps. When our team represents you, we ensure all these steps are taken to ensure you get the program’s full benefits. According to Texas Office of Court Administration guidelines, that can include ensuring you receive an Order of Nondisclosure that prevents any public entity from disclosing information about specific criminal offenses. It will also allow you to answer no to questions about previous convictions.
We make sure that if you meet the criteria for nondisclosure, you get it. We also ensure your record is expunged if possible. Unlike an Order of Nondisclosure, an expungement under TX Code of Criminal Procedure § 55.01 clears your record if we can prove you were wrongfully convicted.
Let Us Fight for Justice for You
Our team understands your desire to return home to your family, so we fight for your release on bail whenever possible. We also make sure the charges against you are accurate, and the state acts within the allowable timeline. Our legal team will:
- Investigate your arrest
- Identify any violations of your rights
- Negotiate plea bargains
- Interview witnesses
- Review the state’s evidence
- Mount a defense that shows your innocence
With over 30 years of experience as a former prosecutor and state district judge, Randall B. Isenberg is familiar with state law and the criminal justice system. This understanding can benefit your case.
Check Out Some of Our Client’s Reviews
Clients we helped in the past can tell you about our team’s impact on their criminal cases and future. When they talk about our team on our testimonials page, they say:
- “I was very pleased being able to work with your Law Firm… I had some unplanned complications in my DWI case & the end results were very amazing… I felt I was truly with a Dream Team law firm in my situation.” – Jonny W
- “Randall Isenberg and his team of attorneys really saved my life… To make a long story short, Randall was able to prove that the test given to me failed to comply with NHTSA standards. So, the evidence was ruled invalid, and I’m happy to be free… Thank you sir!” – Jordan
- “I highly recommend the law firm of Randell B. Isenberg. My case was handled in a highly professional and efficient manner… This guy is well known and has some awesome experience that is always beneficial to the client. I was impressed & very satisfied with the outcome. He’s an awesome attorney!” – Anonymous
Our team believes your future is worth fighting for. When you need to get your life back on track, we are ready to fight by your side.
Review Your Case with Our Team Today
Are you or someone you love facing the possibility of conviction in Texas? Deferred adjudication can help you avoid having a conviction on your record, marring subsequent background checks. The team at the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg can help you take part in this beneficial program. Find out how by calling one of our team members at (214) 696-9253 today.