A DWI is a serious charge with serious consequences. You may be able to defend yourself against these consequences with the help of a Forney DWI lawyer from the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg. Depending on the details of your case, you may be able to have DWI charges dropped or your sentencing and punishment reduced.
Our lead attorney Randall B. Isenberg has over three decades of experience in the legal field, including time as a prosecutor and state district judge. When you call for a free consultation, a representative of the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg can tell you more about your legal options and how we may be able to use our experience and knowledge of the legal system to assist you.
For a free consultation on your case with a member of our team, call the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg today at (214) 696-9253.
DWI Charges and Penalties in Texas
Driving while intoxicated (DWI) is treated seriously by the police and Texas court system, but certain factors can make your DWI charge and penalties even more severe.
One factor is repeat DWI offenses. For example, a first-offense DWI conviction may come with:
- 72 hours to 6 months in jail, but no mandatory jail time
- A fine of up to $2,000
- A driver license suspension up to 1 year
For a second-offense DWI conviction, the penalties may increase to:
- 30 days to 1 year in jail, with 72 hours of mandatory jail time
- A fine of up to $4,000
- A driver license suspension up to 2 year
Other things that can affect the severity of your charges and punishment include:
- If your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level is over 0.15%, the charge increases from a Class B to a Class A misdemeanor.
- If there is an open alcohol container in your vehicle at the time of your arrest, the charge increases from a Class B to a Class A misdemeanor with jail time.
- If the DWI causes an accident where people are injured, your misdemeanor may increase to a felony that can never be removed from your record.
- If there is a child under the age of 15 in the vehicle when you are arrested for DWI, you may also be charged with child endangerment.
According to the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS), you may also be punished with probation, made to attend an alcohol education program, or required to install an ignition interlock device on your vehicle. In any case, the legal consequences of a DWI can be time-consuming, inconvenient, and expensive.
Unfortunately, sometimes the penalties of a DWI charge are not always limited to the legal ones. A DWI charge may adversely affect you in some other ways, including:
- Your career prospects: a DWI charge could cause you to lose your job or make it harder to find a new one.
- Your reputation: a DWI may damage your reputation and cause people to think differently of you. It could affect your ability to obtain housing or a loan, for example, if you are suddenly seen as less reliable or potentially dangerous to others.
- In family matters: it is not uncommon for a charge like a DWI to be used against people in family matters, including custody hearings.
To learn more about defending yourself from DWI charges with the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg, call us today at (214) 696-9253. A member of our team is standing by to provide you with a free consultation on your case.
How a DWI Lawyer Can Help You
Now that you know the consequences that come with a DWI, it is time to learn how a lawyer can help you fight back against this charge. A Forney DWI lawyer from the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg may be able to handle all aspects of your case, including:
Forney DWI Lawyer Near Me (214) 696-9253
Your lawyer can search for new evidence that contradicts the evidence that the state has against you. That could include evidence that the blood alcohol concentration test was faulty or that there was misconduct on behalf of the police, like there being no good reason for you to be stopped in the first place.
Click to contact our DWI Lawyers today
Acting as Your Advocate
Your lawyer can defend you in court and act in your best interests. They are on your side and can try to achieve the best possible outcome in your case. Your lawyer can handle any communications with other parties involved and keep you updated on your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Working to Have Your Charges Dropped
When possible, your lawyer will try to have your charges dropped or the case against you dismissed.
Explaining Plea Deals
If there is too much evidence against you and a verdict of “not guilty” is an unlikely outcome, your lawyer can help explain plea deals to you. A plea deal may help you mitigate the legal, financial, and reputational damage of a DWI conviction.
Expunging the Charge from Your Record
Considering all of the baggage a DWI charge can force you to carry into your professional and personal life, you may want to expunge it from your record completely. Depending on the outcome of your case, the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg may be able to assist you with expunging your DWI charge from your record.
Call the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg for Your Free Consultation
A DWI charge can follow you for a long time and result in a variety of legal and other consequences. A Forney DWI lawyer from the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg may be able to help defend you against this type of charge and its consequences.
Call (214) 696-9253 for a free consultation with a representative of the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg.