If you are facing a charge stemming from allegations of family violence, a Carrollton family violence lawyer can help in your defense. Family violence-related charges often carry serious consequences, and it may not be a good idea to saddle yourself to a public defender who may not have your best interests at heart.
You want an attorney who will fight for your freedom, reputation, and best interests. Our team understands how devastating facing this type of allegation can be. We are here to help you try to get a better outcome in your case. Call our team at the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg today to discuss your case.
The Definition of Family Violence
Legally, Texas handles violent threats or acts against a family member differently than crimes against those who do not have a domestic relationship with the perpetrator. According to Texas Family Code § 71.004, acts of family violence involve those who are:
- Genetically related
- Currently or formerly married
- Connected through a child, such as a biological parent and a foster parent or stepparent
- Related through marriage (in-laws)
- Current or former dating partners
- Current or former roommates
Family violence may include:
- An act between family or household members that is “intended to result in physical harm, bodily injury, assault, or sexual assault or that is a threat that reasonably places the member in fear of imminent physical harm, bodily injury, assault, or sexual assault, but does not include defensive measures to protect oneself”
- Abuse between a family member and a child in that family household
- Dating violence
This means that what constitutes family violence is covered by a fairly broad umbrella, and there are specific considerations when it comes to prosecuting allegations of family violence. You want an attorney on your side who knows how these cases work, including what circumstances may aggravate the charges, the common outcomes, and how to build a strong defense based on your unique situation.
A family violence lawyer from our team can advise you on the specifics of family law and how those nuances apply in your case. Our team understands how much you need someone on your side during this time, and we are here for you. Our criminal defense attorneys serving Carrollton, Texas can represent you immediately after your arrest, during your initial court appearance, or as soon as you contact us.
Know What Is at Stake in a Family Violence Case
If you are convicted of a family violence charge, the potential consequences may be quite serious. You could face fines, incarceration, and more. Your charges may involve aggravating circumstances, which could result in more serious consequences. The details of each case will directly impact the punishment.
We can speak to your potential consequences based on the class of crime you have been charged with. The crime and class are the two most important factors in determining the penalties you may face if convicted. Family violence can cover a broad range of charges and almost any class of crime. According to the Office of the Texas Attorney General:
- For a Class C misdemeanor, you may face a fine of up to $500.
- For a Class A misdemeanor, you may face up to 12 months in jail and fines of up to $4,000.
- For a third-degree felony, you may face 2 to 10 years in prison and fines of up to $10,000.
- For a second-degree felony, you may face 2 to 20 years in prison and fines of up to $10,000.
- For a first-degree felony, you may face 5 to 99 years in prison and fines of up to $10,000.
These consequences vary in seriousness, but any family violence charge is serious. The legal ramifications are one thing, but a family violence conviction can extend further into your personal and professional life, potentially impacting employment opportunities, custody cases, and more. It could limit your time with your children, cost you your job, and even make it difficult to rent an apartment in some cases.
Do not take these charges lightly, especially if you are facing a felony family violence charge. You could go to jail or face other serious legal consequences with ramifications that reach many areas of your life, both socially and professionally. You want to fight a conviction or pursue a better outcome in your case.
Call our team at the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg today to discuss how we can help you strengthen your defense. We represent those accused of family violence crimes in Carrollton. It may be possible to avoid charges, have them dropped, negotiate a lesser charge or sentence, or take other action.
How a Family Violence Lawyer Can Help Your Case
Knowledge of family law statutes in Texas is a critical start to mounting a strong defense. Taking advantage of the experience we have at the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg is one good step you can take to defend yourself. Our team will learn as much as possible about the circumstances that led to the allegations against you and develop a defense to fight any charges you face.
Randall B. Isenberg has 30 years of experience as a senior chief felony prosecutor and state district trial judge. Our team at the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg lends that experience to each of our clients. We understand how prosecuting family violence crimes works from both sides of the courtroom and use that to help pursue a positive outcome for each of our clients.
Understanding how the prosecution and judge may think and act is invaluable to your defense. We have seen hundreds of similar cases and know what works and what does not in defending clients. We will use our experience, knowledge of the law, and details of your case to argue for your best interests. Our team will:
- Meet with you to discuss your case at length, allowing you the opportunity to tell your side of the story
- Explain to you the reality of what you are facing and what your realistic options are
- Review all evidence in your case, including photos, videos, and police reports
- Speak with the officer(s) involved in the case to understand what they may say at trial
- Speak with the prosecutor and judge to see if we can avoid trial by reaching a favorable settlement
- Ensure that you are defended against false and/or exaggerated allegations
- Seek out flaws in the allegations against you
- Ensure that we reach a legal conclusion that you are most comfortable with after advising you of all of your options
We go to work for clients at any point in their case. We encourage you to contact us as early as possible, but we can also step in and represent you later. If you or a loved one was arrested or faces charges for a Carrollton family violence crime, we are here for you.
Carrollton Family Violence Lawyer Near Me (214) 696-9253
Speak With a Team Member About Your Carrollton Family Violence Case
Accusations of family violence are taken quite seriously. Whether you are innocent or have made a mistake and want to mitigate the damage that the charges you face will have on your life, we can help you mount your defense.
Call our team at the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg today to discuss your case and learn how we can help.
Call or text (214) 696-9253 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form