One minute, you were enjoying life, spending time with family, and working hard. The next, you were in the back of a police car, facing assault charges. Life-changing criminal charges can happen in the blink of an eye. Still, you have legal options when looking to avoid a conviction.
A Fort Worth assault lawyer from the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg can protect your future. Our legal team has over 30 years of experience defending Texans from assault charges. Before becoming a defense attorney, our founder, Randall B. Isenberg, worked as a prosecutor. Understanding how the prosecution operates is key to getting the best possible outcome for your case.
What to Know About Assault Laws in Texas
Texas Penal Code § 22.01 defines assault as when a person:
- Knowingly and intentionally causes bodily injury to another person; or,
- Knowingly and intentionally threatens another person’s wellbeing, even verbally; or,
- Knowingly and intentionally causes physical contact that a reasonable person would find threatening.
Penalties for assault in Fort Worth could range from misdemeanor to felony charges. You could face anywhere from a $500 to a $10,000 fine if convicted. What’s more, you could face years in prison, separating you from your loved ones.
Spending even a few months in prison is a traumatic experience. Some of our representatives know this firsthand. That’s why we offer comprehensive legal help to those in your position. By building a strong defense, we intend to secure your freedom.
The Long-Term Consequences of an Assault Conviction in Fort Worth
You might think that after you serve the required jail time or pay fines, your issues regarding an assault conviction end. Unfortunately, if you have a conviction on your record, you could deal with the consequences for the rest of your life. These long-term consequences include:
- Employment difficulties: You could find it more difficult to gain or keep employment after a criminal conviction. Some employers don’t allow convicted criminals to work for them at all. Also, employers could choose other applicants with clean records over yours.
- Home loan denials: When you go to purchase a home, you could have a higher chance of getting your mortgage application denied with a conviction on your record. The loan officer could see the conviction and worry about your ability to pay the loan back, especially if they see you recently did jail time.
- Travel restrictions: Some countries won’t admit convicted criminals. After getting a conviction, it could limit where you can travel.
- Custody issues: If you have issues related to child custody, a criminal conviction could worsen those issues. A judge could see your conviction and assume that you endanger the child’s safety.
Because of these consequences, we recommend seeking legal counsel from a Fort Worth assault attorney from our firm. We can get to work immediately on your case. Our strong defense attorneys can build a case to indicate you did not commit the crime beyond a reasonable doubt. If that’s not possible, we can build a case that aims to have your charges dropped, reduced, or dismissed.
Possible Defenses We Can Use in Your Fort Worth Assault Case
Our biggest obligation requires crafting a defense that aims to protect your rights, freedom, and future. We tailor each defense to fit your specific case. Examples of potential defenses include:
- You acted in self-defense: If someone attacked you, and you injured them while defending yourself, you could claim that you acted in self-defense. Texas law allows self-defense in threatening situations.
- You acted in defense of others: If someone attempts to hurt someone else and you injure the perpetrator to defend them, you could claim you acted in defense of other people.
- A witness identified the wrong person: If law enforcement doesn’t have evidence proof besides hearsay, we could suggest the witness identified the wrong person. We could use evidence, such as an alibi, to prove you did not commit the crime.
- The prosecution doesn’t have enough evidence to convict you: To get convicted, the prosecution must prove to the jury you committed the crime beyond a reasonable doubt. If they don’t have satisfactory evidence (like photos, videos, and other information), we can move to have your case dropped.
We’ve achieved many successful outcomes for people in situations like yours. We know how difficult it can feel to have another party question your moral character. Our lawyer can present your case in the best possible light, so the jury feels compelled to rule in your favor.
Fort Worth Assault Lawyer Near Me (214) 696-9253
What Our Previous Clients Share About Our Fort Worth Defense Lawyers
We’re prepared to stand by your side as you navigate this difficult legal matter. Each of our attorneys understands how stressful it feels to face the possibility of going to jail. We want to help you avoid time behind bars at all costs.
When asked about our defense team’s services, satisfied clients shared:
- “Randall B. Isenberg, P.C. Law Firm got me an acquittal! I thought I best my charges would be reduced. I never dreamed that even high-powered attorneys like Randall could get an acquittal! Thank you so much for rescuing me.” ––Jennie
- “The Isenberg team are truly an outstanding group of professionals. They were honest with me from the beginning about my case being a difficult case but, they were going to try their best. They absolutely did their best and more.” ––Armando
As noted, we regularly combat assault charges throughout Fort Worth and the Dallas metropolitan area. This familiarity offers the skills and resources needed to tackle even the most challenging cases.
Click to contact our Assault Lawyers today
Our Fort Worth Assault Lawyers Can Review Your Case for Free
To learn more about your legal options, contact our assault lawyers in Fort Worth today. During your free consultation, we want to learn what happened and the charges you face. Don’t mince details while speaking to us. We’re on your side, and everything you share with us is confidential.
To get started, call us today. Once you hire our firm, we start defending you immediately.