According to Texas Penal Code § 49.08, intoxication manslaughter is the crime of causing the death of another person while driving while intoxicated. If you or someone close to you has been accused of intoxication manslaughter, you should know that the penalties for a conviction are harsh. In Texas, intoxication manslaughter is a second-degree felony.
A Southlake intoxication manslaughter lawyer from the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg can present a strong defense against the charges and represent you in court. Our law firm understands what you are up against, and we are prepared to fight for your freedom.
How a Southlake Intoxication Manslaughter Lawyer Can Help You
Being convicted of a felony criminal offense such as intoxication manslaughter will radically alter your life. According to Texas Penal Code § 12.33, the crime is punishable by an incarceration period of two to 20 years and up to $10,000 in fines.
If the individual who died was a first responder, such as a police officer or emergency medical services worker, a conviction will likely result in a first-degree felony, which carries a prison sentence of five years to life. Moreover, being convicted of causing someone’s death through intoxicated driving will likely cause irreparable harm to your career, personal reputation, and future prospects.
The need for a robust defense when facing felony charges can hardly be overstated. Our Southlake intoxication manslaughter defense attorneys understand the severity of the situation and will work to achieve the best outcome possible in your case.
Our Criminal Defense Lawyers Will Fight to Demonstrate Your Innocence
The presumption of innocence is a legal right that means a criminal defendant must be considered innocent until proven guilty. The prosecution’s job is to present evidence to the court that demonstrates a defendant’s guilt. Our responsibility is to present evidence that demonstrates the defendant’s innocence.
To defend you against intoxication manslaughter charges, our team may use evidence such as:
- Eyewitness statements
- Police reports
- Medical records
- Blood alcohol concentration (BAC) test results
- Videos and photographs
- Expert witness evidence
Strategies We May Use to Defend You Against Intoxication Manslaughter Charges
The burden of proof is on the prosecution to show that you committed the offense of intoxication manslaughter beyond a reasonable doubt. We understand the nuances of intoxication manslaughter laws and what it takes to get an acquittal – or even a dismissal.
As we build a case for you, we may use defense strategies such as:
- Pointing out flaws in the prosecution’s case: We may discover shortcomings in the prosecution’s case against you and use those weaknesses to argue that the charges against you should be reduced or dropped.
- Challenging the accuracy of breath alcohol and blood alcohol test results: The Texas Department of Transportation says that an individual is legally intoxicated if their BAC is 0.08% or more. However, BAC tests are not always accurate. For example, if the BAC test used to determine your intoxication level was administered by an unqualified individual or flawed in some way, we may be able to argue that the test results are unreliable.
- Identifying the mitigating factors in the case: Mitigating factors lessen a person’s culpability for a crime. Lack of a previous criminal record, good character, and remorse are all examples of possible mitigating factors in your case.
A Negotiated Plea Bargain May Help You Avoid Certain Harsh Penalties
A plea bargain or plea deal involves agreeing to plead guilty. In exchange for a guilty plea, you would receive a smaller charge, reduced sentence, or other benefits. A plea bargain allows the defendant to avoid going through the trial process.
A Southlake intoxication manslaughter attorney from our law firm can evaluate your options and help you decide if a plea deal is right for you. We will aggressively advocate for you during plea deal negotiations with the prosecutor, fighting for the best outcome possible.
Why Choose a Southlake Intoxication Manslaughter Lawyer from the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg?
Criminal defense lawyer Randall B. Isenberg has over three decades of experience. He is a former prosecutor, so he is uniquely positioned to understand the types of evidence a prosecutor may bring in an intoxication manslaughter case.
He knows the strategies prosecutors use to try and get a defendant convicted and how to resist these strategies. He can use this knowledge to build a strong case for your acquittal or negotiate a favorable plea deal.
Attorney Isenberg is also a former state district judge with multiple distinctions, including inclusion in the “Texas Super Lawyers” and “Top Texas Lawyers” lists.
Our team at the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg has a proven track record of success in criminal cases. We believe in the concept of “innocent until proven guilty” and will fight hard for your freedom. Everyone deserves a thorough defense – regardless of the type of charges levied against them. However, people facing felony charges are in particularly great need of a robust defense.
Southlake Intoxication Manslaughter Lawyer Near Me (214) 696-9253
Our Client Endorsements Testify to Our Law Firm’s Excellence in Criminal Defense
Our client testimonials are filled with words like “outstanding,” “impressive,” and “grateful.” When someone is accused of a criminal offense, they are often frightened and overwhelmed. They need someone who has their back and will treat them with the dignity and respect they deserve.
At the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg, we are proud to be our clients’ advocates. We work hard to get the best outcome possible and let our clients get on with their lives. Read what some of our former clients have said about us:
- “The Isenberg law offices are filled with professionals who take every case and client seriously, as if they’re going up to bat for their own family members. Our family will look only to Isenberg whenever we need a great lawyer.” -Christopher
- “Thank you for all your hard work! Best law firm in DFW! Highly recommend!” –Renee B
- “I highly recommend the law firm of [Randall] B. Isenberg. My case was handled in a highly professional and efficient manner. I believe the money I paid this firm, was worth every penny and more! This guy is well known and has some awesome experience that is always beneficial to the client. I was impressed & very satisfied with the outcome. He’s an awesome attorney!” –Anonymous
Let Us Defend You Against Intoxication Manslaughter Accusations
If you or a loved one has been charged with intoxication manslaughter, the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg can provide a solid defense and advocate for your innocence. Contact us today to learn more about how a Southlake intoxication manslaughter lawyer from our law firm can help you.