If you are convicted of a drug crime in Texas, it can adversely affect your family, your future, and ultimately your freedom. A drug possession conviction in Dallas can have long-term consequences that affect your rights, including your right to work, rent or buy a home, or vote or hold office. At the Dallas Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg, we treat every client with the dignity and respect they deserve. Our team has more than 30 years of experience in successfully defending clients charged with drug crimes. A Dallas drug possession lawyer at our firm can build a strong defense for your case.
Penalties You May Face for Drug Possession in Dallas, TX
If you or a loved one is arrested in Dallas on suspicion of drug possession, the penalties you face if convicted are severe. You could be forced to pay steep fines and spend time behind bars, based on your specific charges and if you already have a criminal record.
Type and Amount of Drug
The penalty for possession is largely based on the type of drug that law enforcement says they arrested you with. The current penalty for possession of up to two ounces of marijuana is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by a $2,000 fine and up to 180 days in jail. A Texas House bill aims to reduce that penalty if possession is one ounce or less, as reported by The Texas Tribune.
If the charges involve possession of a narcotic, depending on the amount, you could be facing either a Class A or B misdemeanor that can include up to a year in county jail and a fine of up to $4,000. If a large amount of illicit drugs is found in your possession, you could be charged with a third- to first-degree felony. This can land you anywhere from 15 to 99 years in prison and up to $250,000 in fines, per TX Penal Code Title 6 Chapter 481.
Possible Defenses We May Use in Your Dallas Drug Possession Case
The criminal defense team at the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg has defended clients in drug possession cases in Dallas for over three decades. If you hire a Dallas drug possession lawyer at our firm to represent you in your case, they will work with you to strategize a solid defense that could include one of the following:
- Lack of knowledge that the drug was in your possession (e.g., the drug was discovered in your roommate’s apartment, or you borrowed your friend’s vehicle)
- Officers violated your Miranda rights during your arrest
- You were pulled over illegally because police conducted an unauthorized search of your vehicle
- The medication in your possession was prescribed by a doctor
If this is your first offense, there are treatment programs we can suggest to help reduce the charges against you or expunge your criminal record for good.
A variety of circumstances can lead to a drug conviction, whether minor or severe, and it can be difficult to understand what your options are. Consulting with a Dallas drug crime lawyer from our firm can help you determine how to move forward.
A Dallas drug possession lawyer at our firm will investigate the details of your case to help you determine the best course of action to take. We can identify if your constitutional rights were violated and defend you in court. Our team will investigate every angle and work to have the charges against you reduced or dismissed altogether.
Dallas Drug Possession Lawyer Near Me (214) 696-9253
Randall B. Isenberg and His Team Get Results for Clients
Attorney Randall B. Isenberg knows how to defend his clients because he has been on both sides of the bench. A former Chief Felony Prosecutor and State District Trial Judge, Mr. Isenberg is listed in such highly ranked publications such as Martindale-Hubbell’s Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers and was named a “Texas Super Lawyer” in 2006.
Here are a few examples of recent client results for those facing drug charges:
- Possession of marijuana case – Rejected by the District Attorney’s Office
- Possession of controlled substance – Entered PTD Program and case dismissed
- Possession of dangerous drug – Deferred probation
- Possession of marijuana – Reduced to a Class C misdemeanor
- Possession of controlled substance – Dismissed
Click to contact our Drug Possession Lawyers today
What Past Clients Have to Say About Our Firm
Choosing the right drug crime lawyer to stand by your side and fight for your rights may be one of the most important decisions you can make. You can tell a lot about a law firm by the testimonials from past clients. For example:
- “The Isenberg law offices are filled with professionals who take every case and client seriously, as if they’re going up to bat for their own family members. Our family will look only to Isenberg whenever we need a great lawyer.” – Christopher
- “Thank you, Randall for getting my charges reduced. I went from facing decades in prison to probation. I can’t tell you how much that means to me, my wife, and kids. My world was destroyed, and the experience has humbled me to be the best driver I can possibly be. I’ll be happy to refer your law firm to anyone wanting an outstanding attorney.” – Erick
Every client is unique, and every case is different. But no matter what the circumstances are, our Dallas drug possession lawyer will fight for you every step of the way. We believe that every client deserves a dignified defense and a chance at a clean criminal record.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call a Dallas Drug Possession Lawyer for Help With Your Case
Whether you or a loved one faces drug possession, distribution, or another type of drug crime, we will analyze the details of your case and construct a defense strategy that can be used in court.
The team at the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg is here to help you through this difficult time. You do not have to face criminal charges on your own. Call today for a free, confidential consultation about your drug possession case in Dallas.