Felony convictions can come with serious consequences. However, an arrest is not a conviction and you are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Our Forney, TX felony DWI lawyer can help you fight the charges you face.
At the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg, we understand the damage a criminal conviction can do to your life. Our firm has experience navigating the criminal justice system. We can help you defend yourself against the charges you face.
How Can Our Forney, Texas Felony DWI Attorney Help You?
Felony charges are usually backed up by testimony from the arresting officer and forensic evidence such as a blood alcohol concentration test that shows you were over the legal limit. If convicted, you can face jail time, fines, and consequences to your personal and professional life.
You can fight a felony DWI charge, and we can help you do it. Before our lead attorney became a criminal defense lawyer, Randall B. Isenberg was a Senior Chief Felony Prosecutor and a State District Trial Judge. He has more than 30 years of experience and knows how to build a defense for you.
When a Forney DWI lawyer from our firm is fighting your case, we will leave no stone unturned in trying to raise reasonable doubt in the minds of the jurors. We take a complete look at the charges against you and fight them on every level. That includes:
- Evidence collection – We will look for any witnesses or video evidence that can challenge the prosecution’s assertion that you were driving while intoxicated. This includes examining the circumstances leading up to the initial traffic stop and challenging whether there was probable cause to pull you over or suspect you were intoxicated.
- Challenging the state’s forensic evidence – Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) tests are only as good as the machine used to do the test and the officer who operates the machine. In some cases, the officer makes procedural mistakes in administering the tests. The machine itself may not be properly calibrated. We’ll take a critical look at your test and if there were errors, we can find them.
- Negotiating for reduced charges – Criminal trials are expensive for both the state and the defendant. That’s why felony charges are often settled for lower, less serious charges in pre-trial negotiations. We’ll lead these negotiations for you and if there is a deal that can be struck, we’ll find it.
- Fighting for you at trial– We do more than just negotiate with prosecutors for reduced charges. If those negotiations fail, we’ll fight for you in court. We’ll plan persuasive oral arguments, submit evidence in your favor, and prepare your witnesses for direct and cross-examination.
What Makes a DWI Case a Felony Instead of a Misdemeanor?
Although some Forney, TX DWI cases are misdemeanors, prosecutors may upgrade the case to felony status if there are certain aggravating circumstances, according to Texas Penal Code § 49.09. These aggravating circumstances include, but are not limited to, the following:
- There was a minor under 15 in your vehicle when you were arrested
- You’re charged with intoxication assault, which is DWI after an accident involving serious bodily injury
- You’re charged with intoxication manslaughter
No matter what the circumstances are in your case, our firm’s Forney, TX felony DWI attorneys will defend you.
What Are the Penalties for a Felony DWI Conviction?
The potential penalties for a felony DWI conviction in Texas almost always involve prison time. If there are no aggravating circumstances, a first or second DWI conviction is typically classified as a misdemeanor. However, some DWI cases result in felony charges. If you’re found guilty, you could face the following consequences:
- First-degree felony: 5-99 years in jail and up to $10,000 in fines
- Second-degree felony: 2-20 years in jail and up to $10,000 in fines
- Third-degree felony: 2-10 years in jail and up to $10,000 in fines
Additional convictions can result in even more severe sentences. Although you may apply for probation, whether your request is granted is a decision that will be made by the trial judge or the jury in your case.
These are the kinds of consequences our Forney felony DWI lawyer will try to help you avoid by fighting your case.
Forney Felony DWI Lawyer Near Me (214) 696-9253
Other Adverse Consequences of a Felony DWI Conviction
Aside from the immediate legal consequences of losing your freedom, a felony DWI conviction could have a long-lasting negative effect on your life. Most professional licenses in Texas (and other states) prohibit convicted felons from possessing a license. You are required to report felony convictions to the accrediting board or government agency that has oversight over your professional license.
Therefore, a felony DWI conviction may result in the loss of any professional license or accreditation you held when you were convicted. That means you may no longer be able to work in fields like real estate, contracting, accounting, or even law. You must also report felony convictions when applying for many professional licenses or accreditations in Texas. Having a felony conviction may be grounds for denial of your application.
Click to contact our Felony DWI Lawyers today
Our Firm Offers Free Case Evaluations
You may have questions after your arrest. We can answer them during a free case evaluation. We care about your well-being and we’re ready to fight for your rights.
When you contact our firm, a member of our team can speak with you about your case for free. Your case evaluation will remain confidential.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Us To Learn More About Our Felony DWI Lawyer
You have the right to legal representation in a criminal case. You’re free to choose your own attorney, or you can even represent yourself. With that said, the consequences of a conviction can be severe. Our experienced team can help you understand the legal process so you don’t have to face your charges alone.
You can contact the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg and get a team of experienced felony DWI lawyers to fight your case. Call us today and find out how we can help you.