If you’re arrested on suspicion of driving while under the influence of marijuana, you may be charged with driving while intoxicated (DWI). If convicted, you could face incarceration, fines, and personal and professional consequences.
An Addison DWI marijuana lawyer from the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg will fight to minimize the harm to your future. Once you become our client, we will build a strong defense and negotiate for a reduced charge or sentence, or prove your innocence. Using our resources, time, and experience, we will protect your rights and your opportunity for a second chance.
What Is the Legal and Personal Cost of a Marijuana DWI Conviction in Addison?
For clients facing a marijuana-related DWI charge in Addison, the cost of a conviction is twofold. You may be facing:
- Significant legal penalties such as fines, jail time, prison time, a vehicle interlock device, alcohol education courses, and license suspension
- Informal penalties such as the loss of your job, damage to your career, loss of child custody, financial hardship, psychological problems, and relationship problems
The legal penalties you face are the most pressing, as they may trigger many other consequences. If an Addison DWI lawyer from our team can help you avoid a conviction, we may also help you to avoid other potential harm that results from a conviction.
Legal Penalties for a Marijuana DWI Conviction
If a law enforcement officer suspects that you have used marijuana before driving, they may charge you just the same as if you were suspected of drinking and driving. Texas law does not account for the differences between marijuana-related impairment and impairment caused by other substances (such as alcohol). The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) explains that you may be facing:
- If this is your first DWI offense: A fine of up to $2,000, up to 180 days in jail, and a one-year license suspension.
- If this is your second DWI offense: A fine of up to $4,000, up to 1 year in jail (and a minimum of 1 month in jail), and a two-year license suspension
- If this is your third DWI offense: A fine of up to $10,000, up to 10 years in prison, and a license suspension of up to 2 years
Even if you do not have a prior DWI marijuana offense, any DWI convictions on your record may enhance your potential legal penalties in this case. TxDOT notes that, in addition to these penalties, you may face a “state fine” of $3,000, $4,500, or $6,000 during the sentencing phase of your case.
As substantial as these potential legal penalties are, you may find the non-legal penalties to be just as serious. When you are choosing a DWI marijuana lawyer for your case in Addison, you must consider how an employer, landlord, and others may view a DWI conviction.
The Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg understand the high stakes of every DWI case. We often represent clients facing DWI charges, doing everything in our power to spare them from conviction. We will work tirelessly to help you avoid a conviction, too.
Why Choose the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg to Defend You?
Experience is an important consideration when you hire a criminal defense attorney. This is one differentiating factor that our firm offers you, as lead attorney Randall Isenberg is:
- A former State District Judge
- A former Chief Felony Prosecutor
- A criminal defense attorney with more than 30 years of legal experience
Our team understands the perspective not only of a defense attorney but also of prosecutors and judges. We believe that this varied perspective is an advantage to clients like you, as we can work with prosecutors to secure favorable deals for our clients.
In addition to this unique legal experience, you may also choose our firm for your DWI marijuana case in Addison because:
- Our case results prove how hard we fight for our clients: When you review our results, note how many clients we have successfully defended from DWI charges or more significant penalties. This experience gives us a strong understanding of when to negotiate a plea agreement, when to seek a dismissal, and when to proceed to trial.
- DWI cases are our primary practice area: Though we help clients with a variety of defense issues, DWI is a massive part of our practice. Because we focus so frequently on DWI defense, our attorneys remain sharp when it comes to cases like yours.
- We tailor our services to you: Though there are similarities between some DWI cases, you deserve a detailed defense based on the facts of your case and your circumstances. We’ll consider the evidence, law enforcement procedures, and other unique details as we build your defense strategy.
Our law firm puts its resources behind each case we handle. You will get the support of your attorney plus the paralegals, investigators, and experts who work on our clients’ behalf.
Addison DWI Marijuana Lawyer Near Me (214) 696-9253
What a DWI Marijuana Lawyer from Our Team Will Do to Defend You
Our team will seek the best possible outcome for you. Note that the “best outcome” for one client may be different than the ideal outcome for another, as important considerations include:
- Whether a police officer was within their rights to pull you over, question you about marijuana use, conduct chemical testing, or take other steps that led to your arrest
- The nature of evidence in your case
- Whether you admitted to using marijuana before driving
We will review all relevant facts and details and then explain our legal strategy to you. Our team will also:
- Gather witness accounts
- Review evidence
- Seek any evidence that could trigger a dismissal of your charges or a not-guilty verdict
- Identity flaws in the prosecution’s case
- Negotiate a plea bargain
- Defend you at trial (if necessary)
Our team will update you throughout the legal process, accompany you to case-related interviews and appointments, and advise you until the completion of your case.
Click to contact our DWI Marijuana Lawyers today
Call the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg for a DWI Defense Lawyer in Addison
We want to begin crafting your DWI marijuana defense as soon as possible, so do not wait to call our team in Addison. Call the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg today to discuss how we can assist you.