If you have been charged with DWI in Carrollton, Texas, you are facing a significant charge, even if it is a first offense DWI. Large fines, time in jail, and an automatic suspension of your driver’s license are all on the table for the prosecution.
Do not feel like you should face this charge on your own. Count on a first offense DWI lawyer in Carrollton to be able to explain all of your options for your defense. With the proper information in hand, you will be better able to make the smartest choice for your particular situation.
When you select the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg to defend you against your DWI charge, you will have access to veteran criminal defense lawyers who will work tirelessly to achieve the best possible outcome for you. Call us today at (214) 696-9253 for a free consultation.
Texas DWI Laws
- 08: a tested alcohol concentration level of 0.08 or more may result in a DWI charge, as the driver is legally intoxicated at this measurement level. For a first offense DWI in this BAC range, the offense is a misdemeanor Class B charge.
- 15: should your BAC hit 0.15 or more, even as a first offense, it could become a misdemeanor Class A charge.
Special DWI Circumstances
If the driver has a passenger in the vehicle under 15 years of age, and the driver has a BAC of 0.15 or more, even a first offense DWI could become a felony.
A driver charged with first-offense DWI who injured another party during a crash at the time of the offense could also be charged with a felony.
For drivers up to 21 years of age, any measurable BAC reading would result in either a DWI charge or a DUIA charge. This is called the Zero Tolerance policy in Texas, as the legal drinking age is 21.
- The DUIA charge is reserved for drivers younger than 17 years of age, where a first offense is a Class C misdemeanor.
- For a driver aged 17 to 21, the offense would be a first offense DWI charge, which is Class B misdemeanor.
The prosecution can choose to charge a driver under 17 years old with DWI, depending on the circumstances.
Potential DWI Penalties
Possible penalties for a first offense DWI or DUIA include:
- Class C misdemeanor: fine up to $500, 20 to 40 hours of community service, and suspension of driver’s license for 60 to 180 days.
- Class B misdemeanor: fine up to $2,000, 72 hours to 6 months of jail time, and suspension of driver’s license for 1 year.
- Class A misdemeanor: fine up to $4,000, 30 days to 1 year of jail time, and suspension of driver’s license for 180 days to 18 months.
A felony first offense DWI charge has even larger potential penalties, including a fine up to $10,000, two to 10 years of potential jail time, and a driver’s license suspension of 180 days to two years.
For a free legal consultation with a First Offense DWI Lawyer in Carrollton, call (214) 696-9253
Potential DWI Outcomes
Regardless of the age of the driver, having a veteran first offense DWI lawyer in Carrollton from the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg on your side can help you make the best choice for your defense.
We will start by helping you understand the potential outcomes for this charge. The four most common outcomes in a first offense DWI charge include:
- Pleading guilty to the original charge.
- Pleading not guilty to the original charge, leading to a court case.
- Agreeing to a plea bargain, where the charge is reduced in exchange for a guilty plea.
- Having the prosecutor dismiss the charge.
To better understand the options in your case, call us today at (214) 696-9253 for a free consultation.
Let Us Represent You Today
A first offense DWI charge in the state of Texas carries severe penalties. A conviction on a DWI charge can significantly affect your current and future quality of life. Figuring out how to defend yourself against this serious charge is not something you should undertake lightly.
Call the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg immediately at (214) 696-9253. We will analyze your case at no charge and with no obligation. We will take the time to answer any questions you may have.
Should you hire us, our team will guide you through the legal process, working to achieve the best possible outcome in your case. As a trusted first offense DWI lawyer in Carrollton, we will stand by your side in meetings with law enforcement and the prosecution and in court.