Driving while intoxicated is always a serious charge and carries harsh penalties and steep fines. It can be even more difficult to face these charges and defend yourself without legal guidance and support. If you are an underage driver—or the parent or guardian of an underage driver—facing DWI charges, we can help.
Our Austin underage DWI attorney will examine the details of your arrest, starting with the reason you were pulled over and the circumstances of your arrest. We also use the discovery process to understand the details, evidence, and witnesses of the state’s case. At the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg, our Austin criminal defense lawyers never stop fighting for the bright future you deserve.
The Penalties of DUI Versus DWI in Austin, TX
No one under the age of 21 is allowed to consume alcohol in any quantity in the state of Texas. If you were arrested and charged with drinking and driving, you could face stiff penalties. You do not have to fight them on your own. Our firm can help you build a solid defense.
Penalties for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI)
Under the law, underage drivers with a BAC at or above 0.08 face the same charges as adult drivers. Penalties include:
- A first conviction is punishable by a fine of up to $2,000, up to 180 days in jail, and a license suspension of up to a year, with an increase in minimal sentencing if an open container of alcohol is found in your car.
- A second conviction is punishable by a fine of up to $4,000, up to a year in jail, and a license suspension of up to 18 months.
- A third or subsequent conviction is punishable by a fine of up to $10,000, up to ten years of imprisonment, and license suspension for up to two years.
In addition to these penalties, a conviction can tarnish your reputation and disrupt your plans for the future. Our law firm will help you avoid damaging your education and employment.
Penalties for Driving Under the Influence (DUI)
In some cases, officers will charge drivers with DUI instead of DWI. Texas Department of Public Safety (TxDPS) guidelines for sentencing include the following penalties for underage drivers convicted of DUI:
- A first conviction is punishable by up to $500 in fines, up to 40 hours of community service, 60 days of license suspension, and participation in an alcohol awareness class for you and your parent.
- A second conviction is punishable by up to $500 in fines, up to 60 hours of community service, 120 days of license suspension, and participation in an alcohol awareness class.
- A third conviction for a driver younger than 17 years old is punishable by the same penalties and up to 180 days of license suspension.
- A third conviction for a driver between 17 and 21 is punishable by up to $2,000 in fines, up to 60 hours of community service, alcohol awareness class participation, license suspension for up to a year, and installation of an ignition interlock device.
Our legal team will listen to your story with compassion and without judgment. We also review the details of your arrest and identify any potential violations of your rights that may give us leverage when building your defense.
Enhanced DWI Charges Can Lead to Harsher Penalties
Texas will enhance or elevate the charges you face depending on the factors of your case. If you were arrested with a passenger in your car who was a minor younger than 15 years old, you would face the penalties of a state jail felony.
Additional enhanced penalties include a third-degree felony for intoxication assault and a second-degree felony for intoxication manslaughter. You should not have to defend yourself against an arrest that contains inaccuracies.
A DWI-related accident can mean your criminal record can never be sealed. We can help you avoid this permanent hindrance to your reputation and future. When we handle your case, we conduct our own investigation to help you avoid facing unwarranted charges.
Our Underage DWI Attorney Fights Hard to Protect Young Drivers in Austin. TX
With more than 30 years of experience and his career as both a former prosecutor and state district judge, Randall Isenberg has familiarity with state and local laws. While the state is preparing its case against you, we go to work building a strong defense. When our criminal defense team represents you, we will:
- Examine the prosecution’s evidence against you
- Challenge the accuracy of blood alcohol concentration (BAC) testing
- Address any violations of your arrest that may benefit your case
- Obtain traffic camera, dashcam, and other video footage
- Negotiate a plea bargain for lower charges and lesser penalties
At the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg, we stop at nothing to build the strongest possible case for you and to obtain the best possible outcome.
Austin Underage DWI Lawyer Near Me (214) 696-9253
Our Law Firm Works Hard to Make Every Client a Priority
When previous clients talk about our criminal defense team, they leave online reviews like the following:
- Kristi Taylor: “Mr. Isenberg was very upfront and honest about what to expect in a case for a family member. After meeting with multiple attorneys, we felt Mr. Isenberg was the best choice to represent him.”
- Armando Escobar: “OUTSTANDING AND THE BEST REPRESENTATION…They absolutely did their best and more…the Isenberg team came to every hearing beyond prepared and knowledgeable about my case. I am forever grateful…they are truly the BEST representation you can get.”
Our client-focused team makes you a priority and fights hard to give your case the attention and attention to detail it needs and deserves.
Get Help Fighting for Your Future After an Underage DWI Charge
An arrest for DWI does not have to derail your future. Our Austin underage DWI attorney will help you build the strongest possible defense and fight hard to protect your driver’s license and your future.
Contact one of our criminal defense team members at the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg to get started on your case today.