A Waxahachie DWI marijuana lawyer will fight to protect your legal rights and to get you the best possible outcome in your circumstances. You never want to just accept DWI marijuana charges without a fight. Having a DWI marijuana conviction on your record can hurt your career, finances, and life for years.
It is worth your while to tackle this situation aggressively to avoid getting a conviction. Here at the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg, we help people accused of DWI marijuana offenses. As our results page shows, our criminal defense team gets DWI charges reduced for many clients and sometimes even dismissed.
What Marijuana DWI Means in Texas
You can get convicted of a marijuana DWI in Texas without even drinking a single beer. The police can require you to take a blood test if they have reasonable suspicion that you might have used marijuana or another drug, and they pulled you over because they suspect you of driving while impaired by drugs or alcohol.
They will call it a marijuana DWI if the blood test reveals you had marijuana in your bloodstream. A marijuana DWI gets treated the same at the penalty phase as a DWI based on driving while intoxicated by alcohol.
How Texas Law Defines Driving While Intoxicated
Driving while intoxicated in our state is defined as a person who gets caught driving a motor vehicle while intoxicated in a public place. According to Texas Penal Code § 49.01, a person legally intoxicated for purposes of a DWI either has:
- An alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more
- Does not have the normal use of their physical or mental abilities because of substances in the body like alcohol, drugs, or a combination of 2 or more of those things
Services You Can Receive from a Waxahachie DWI Marijuana Attorney
You do not have to face DWI marijuana charges in Waxahachie, Texas alone. Our firm’s founder is a former prosecutor and state district judge. He has over three decades of experience, which he will use to help you go after the best possible results in your circumstances.
Our clients facing marijuana DWI charges can expect to receive these services from the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg:
- We investigate the arrest, including whether the officer had sufficient legal grounds to perform the traffic stop and subject you to alcohol testing.
- We evaluate how the evidence the prosecutor intends to use against you got obtained and whether there were any improprieties that might justify a motion to suppress the evidence.
- We look for any violations of your constitutional rights, before or after the arrest. We try to get a reduction of the charges. If the facts warrant it, we will argue for a dismissal of the charges.
- We negotiate with the prosecutor to try to get the best possible result in your case.
Most cases get resolved out of court, but if appropriate, we will take your case to trial and ask for a verdict of not guilty. Every case is different, and we cannot guarantee what the outcome will be in your situation. We can and do pledge to work aggressively on your case.
Waxahachie DWI Marijuana Lawyer Near Me (214) 696-9253
What Could Happen After a Waxahachie Marijuana DWI Conviction
The consequences of getting convicted of a marijuana DWI do not end at court. Your life could get sent on a different path for quite a few years because of a DWI conviction.
- A marijuana DWI conviction in Texas comes with thousands of dollars of fines.
- Your car insurance premiums will skyrocket and stay high for years.
- If you have a job at the time that you get your marijuana DWI conviction, do not be surprised if your boss fires you. You cannot work if you must serve time in jail.
- Even if you do not have to go to jail, many employers routinely fire workers with criminal convictions. If your job involves driving, getting a DWI will likely cause you to lose your job.
- After you pay your fines and serve your time, you might think you can rebuild your life to what it once was. Unfortunately, that does not always happen.
- It will probably be harder for you to land a good job in the future because many positions require background checks. Having a criminal conviction, particularly for driving while intoxicated with marijuana in your bloodstream, could motivate a potential employer to choose someone else instead of you.
- You might not get accepted into the prestigious university you had been looking forward to attending.
- Getting a marijuana DWI conviction can cause social stigma even decades after the fact.
- These negative repercussions can be even worse if this is not your first DWI.
With so much at stake for your future, it makes sense to hire a marijuana DWI attorney serving the Waxahachie, Texas area.
A common misconception is you can get your criminal records sealed to protect you from prying eyes, but if your marijuana DWI involved an accident, you cannot get that conviction sealed. Your best bet is to fight as hard as you can to avoid getting the conviction. The best way to pursue that goal is to work with a Waxahachie DWI marijuana lawyer from the very beginning.
Click to contact our DWI Marijuana Lawyers today
Penalties for a Marijuana DWI Conviction in Texas
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDoT) reports that, whether your conviction is for exceeding the legal limit of alcohol in the bloodstream or having your driving ability impaired by drugs or alcohol, you can face these penalties for a DWI conviction in Texas:
- First-time offenders can get fined up to $2,000 plus a state fine of thousands of dollars. They could get sent to jail for up to 180 days and lose their driving privileges for as long as 1 year.
- A second DWI conviction can come with a fine that could be as high as $4,000, in addition to the state fines. They could have to spend up to a year in jail and lose their driver’s license for up to 2 years.
- With a third offense, the defendant could face a fine as high as $10,000, plus the state fines. They could get incarcerated for as long as 10 years in prison and lose their driving privileges for up to 2 years.
With these harsh possible outcomes, you will want to protect your future to the best of your ability.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call Now to Get Started on Your Case in Ellis County
You can reach out to the Law Offices of Randall B. Isenberg today to get started. A team member is standing by to learn the details of your case and inform you of how we can help.